Microsoft has officially release vista service pack 2 on May, 27. By now many users would have already installed Service pack 2 on Windows Vista. For those users who want to block vista Sp2 via automatic windows update windows update blocker tool is also available for download.
We haven’t seen any user reporting issues arising after installing sp2 on vista but that doesn’t mean all users are satisfied with vista service pack 2 their might be some users who want to uninstall & completely remove windows vista service pack 2.
For those users here is step by step guide on how to uninstall & remove vista service pack You can uninstall Windows Vista sp2 via control panel, check in vista install updates and look up for “Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB948465)” right click on this entry select uninstall. But if you can’t see above entry then you need to manually uninstall vista sp2 via command line.
How to Uninstall Windows Vista Service Pack 2 via Command Line
You can remove Windows Vista SP2 from the command line by either specifying the path to the package that was used for installation (the path to the expanded .cab file), or by specifying the package identity (the package name).
Option 1: Using the Package That was used for Installation
1. Open an elevated Command Prompt window, by clicking Start, typing cmd in the Start Search box, right-clicking Command Prompt, and then clicking Run as administrator.
2. Run the following command, assuming that Windows6.0-KB948465-NNN.exe is in the C:\temp folder:
Where NNN is x86 or x64.
3. To create a sandbox, which is a virtual environment, type md
4. To remove Windows Vista SP2, type
start /w pkgmgr.exe /m:c:\temp\Windows6.0-KB948465-NNN.cab /up /s:
Where NNN is x86 or x64.
5. After Pkgmgr.exe completes, you will be prompted to restart the computer, unless you specified the /quiet option.
Option 2: Using Package Identity
1. Open an elevated Command Prompt window, by clicking Start, typing cmd in the Start Search box, right-clicking Command Prompt, and then clicking Run as administrator).
2. Run one of the following commands:
Using the 5 language package:
start /w pkgmgr /up /p:”VistaSP2-KB948465~31bf3856ad364e35~NNN~~6.0.0.QQQQQ”
Using the package that contains all languages:
start /w pkgmgr /up /p:”VistaSP2-KB948465~31bf3856ad364e35~NNN~~6.0.1.QQQQQ”
Where NNN is x86 or x64, and QQQQQ is the build number.
3. After Pkgmgr.exe completes, you will be prompted to restart the computer, unless you specified the /quiet option.